Muncie Civic Theatre is responding to community needs by providing culturally diverse entertainment and increased programming for children, clients with special needs, and patrons of all ages. As Muncie Civic welcomes more diverse participants into the building and develops programming for individuals with physical disabilities, there is an increased need for safety and accessibility upgrades.
Safety and accessibility upgrades include:
- Install an elevator to gain accessibility to the second floor for all visitors.
- Move Studio Theatre from first to second floor to allow for increased seating capacity and flexible seating and staging arrangements based on participants’ needs.
- Renovate current rehearsal and costume storage rooms to increase classroom and rehearsal space and to accommodate a range of mobility limitations.
- Add restrooms to the second floor.
- Widen door entrances and walkways on first and second floors.
- Implement secure building entrances and install alarms to ensure safety of young participants.
- Upgrade the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems to serve presently vacant second floor space.
- Add sprinkler and fire safety systems throughout the entire building.
These upgrades will render usable an additional 75% of the Boyce Block building’s second floor for all visitors and program participants. While Muncie Civic is committed to providing life-changing programs to all people, the Boyce Block building needs to be just as open and free of barriers.